What is a Creative Brief?
A creative brief is an essential part of every successful marketing campaign. It is a very thorough questionnaire that is used to collect the information needed before beginning each project. It helps drive the discovery process by gathering all of the critical, relevant, and most useful information. Laying this solid foundation at the start will ensure clarity, agreement, and success of the project.
What does a Creative Brief include?
Start by asking these questions: (Modify as needed depending on the digital project)
- What problem does the product or service solve? What is it? How does it work?
- What is the business mission?
- What are the business/sales goals?
- Who is your competition? How is your product better?
- Who is your ideal customer? Include demographics and/or buyer persona
- Other marketing materials the client can provide (for continuity in planning)
- What common questions do they get from customers
- What is your USP (unique solution position!)
- Are there any testimonials or case studies?
- Are there any other unique or proprietary features or benefits of your product that make it stand out?
Sometimes it helps to ask several people in various positions within the organization to answer the same questions. You may get different answers and new insights when you question a sales manager and a customer service representative.
How does a Creative Brief for Discovery help?
Completing a creative brief before you begin every project helps the client articulate their mission. (At the same time, it may also reveal any weak spots in this area.) It also clearly defines the scope of each project, whether it’s a newsletter, an e-mail campaign, or a web site redesign. Working from the Brief ensures the successful completion of the job for everyone involved. It’s the ultimate win-win situation!
For more information about how a Creative Brief can help your next project succeed, contact Creative today!